Heritage Ento Class takes on UC Davis

With the school year coming to an end, bug-loving entomology students made their way to UC Davis, to learn about and experience the fascinating world of insects, birds, and fish.

On April 11th and 12th, Heritage High School Entomology students traveled to the renowned college campus to get the opportunity to visit: the Bohart Museum of Entomology, Museum of Geology and Paleontology, Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology, and the Putah Creek Walk.

Heritage Biology and Entomology teacher, Mr. Holmes, has been taking his students on the annual field trip for the last 10 years.

“We’ve been fortunate to have had a field trip to UC Davis every year that the class has been offered. They’ve been really welcoming to us year after year,” said Holmes.

Prior to the start of the UC Davis experience, past Entomology students shared their excitement with current students.

“I remember the trip being a lot of fun, and very informative. The campus was absolutely amazing, and so were all of the people who worked there,” said Madi Chinn (12).

While peers and chaperones explored the campus, Holmes explained what he finds to be most beneficial for his students.

“Aside from a memorable experience with their friends, students get to see a slice of what college courses, research, and college life is like…Some get inspired to get their insect collection into tip-top shape, too,” Holmes added.

After enjoying an hour long lunch, students and parents continued their journey through UC Davis and the various interactive exhibits it had to offer. Including: a tour of preserved animals, a soothing wildlife walk, an exploratorium of ancient rocks and fossils, and a hands-on insect experience with stick-bugs, tarantulas, and scorpions.

It was awesome being able to see such a large collections of bugs in one place and being able to see insects I’ve never seen before. I loved how it was really hands on and everyone there was so nice,” said Noah Paige (11).

As Heritage students waved goodbye to UC Davis, peers and chaperones reflected on the field trip, and how off-campus learning can make an impact on the teenage learning experience.

“I find it beneficial to pause, put down the books and packets and flashcards on occasion, and just soak in an experience elsewhere that still supports the content we’re teaching. I’ve had parents mention to me every year that this is their graduating senior’s first field trip in high school, and I wish there were more. So much of our K-12 educational experience or value is directed toward accumulating points, and I think there’s actually more meaning to life than that,” said Holmes.

With the school year coming to a close, the 2017-2018 Entomology voyage is only beginning. Future students should prepare for a wondrous world of catching, identifying, and so much more.