Choir Showcase

Krystal Shahin

Jessica Montez looks into the crowd as she blesses them with her voice.

The Heritage High School choir put on their first concert for fundraising and to start off the year with a bang. Students from all three choirs; A Capella, Concert and Chamber, got to try out for the show and express their talents.

The theatre decorated in masterpieces from the 20’s all the way to 2016, music and beautiful voices filled the air as timeless classics were renewed and our top favorites of today were being performed.

“The showcase was actually really fun and exciting, I wish I tried out for it,” Aaron Hanible (12).

There were minor technical difficulties during Jordyn Foley’s performance of “Almost like Being in Love” from the musical Brigadoon, which resulted in the singer spontaneously deciding to sing the song A Capella with the help of the audience keeping her in tempo by clapping while she sang.

“Doing the song A Capella was really nerve wracking, but everyone was really nice about it so it ended up being super fun and worked out really well,” said Jordyn Foley (11).

For some students, like Bridgette Kinsella (12), trying out was a breeze.

“I probably practiced for a couple of days over break since I knew my song already. I feel confident in my performance and I’m really happy with how it turned out, I think I messed up a few times but otherwise I was happy,” said Kinsella.

Students were more than happy to participate in the event; though it was different for everyone. Marin Fallows (9) performed “Sisters” with her best friend Annabelle Barclay (9) by her side in a duet.

“It was harder to get ready for the performance since it was a duet with dance moves and everything. I felt so much more confident on stage since I had my best friend [Barclay] by my side with me the whole time,” said Fallows.

In addition to auditions to perform in the Showcase, particularly outspoken students auditioned to host the event as Master of Ceremonies, one of them Vicky Vers (12).

“Being an MC was a lot of fun, I got to hype up the crowd and watch the amazing singers from on the stage. The variety of singers and songs throughout the decades was really fun to watch and be a part of,” said Vers.

The new choir teacher, Mrs. Shanker, was very pleased with the outcome of the first concert.

“This show was amazing for the first one, I allowed students to get creative and have fun with the pop songs they got to choose to do, it almost exactly opposite from our next concert. This was a great and fun, exciting way to start out the choir year, I’m really hoping to make the most of it,” said Shanker.

The next concert, a winter concert on December 13th, is Christmas themed and focused more on classics that everyone knows rather than pop songs from decades ago.

This concert was mostly student run, “council picked the theme, and they decorated and ran the whole thing. I just made sure the music flowed well together so the audience wouldn’t get bored. There were 35 groups that tried out and only 20 got in but the other guys preformed at our fundraiser on October 24th at Mountain Mikes,” Shanker continued.

The concert was mostly pop themed but it seemed that the audience thoroughly enjoyed the change. Please join the choir on December 13th for their winter concert full of classics with different and unique spins on them.