Behind Titus: A Closer Look at Joshua Ollivier

As the lights began to shine, senior Josh Ollivier lets the words speak to him. His body feels the emotions as he becomes his character. He knows the lines by heart, but to take his craft to the next level, he has to show the emotional reality of his character. This is what it means to be an actor.

“First of all, I wanted to20160928-dsc_7867 fit in like any other high school student but what made me really passionate about theatre is being able to be a completely different person and escape my worries. But again you take on someone else’s worries and pain and triumph. It kind of makes you feel better because you don’t have go through the things they go through,” Joshua said.

Josh starred in the title role of HHS Rising Stars’ fall production of Shakespeare’s Titus Andronicus and just closed a production of The Addams Family with another theatre company, Stars 2000. Josh is also involved with many clubs such as Leadership, NHS, Rising Stars, CSF, and School Advisory Council.

As an actor, Josh thinks what makes it worthwhile is when it actually all comes together and turns into an amazing show that actually moves people and makes people think differently about others. The hardest thing for Josh as an actor is learning lines and the easiest thing is the work ethic, and the responsibilities. Josh looks up to actor Daniel Day-Lewis because he focuses on making his lines sound like something someone would actually say which really inspires Josh to be like him.

Josh plans to earn his bachelor’s degree in five years from NYU. In ten years, he wishes to be on a national tour for a big show.

“I think Joshua has a very bright future. He’s done so many shows and he has done so many extracurricular activities. I’m really proud of him and I’m excited to see where life takes him.  I know he’ll get into a great college and become a famous actor,” said friend Alyssa Gallegos.

His success begs the question, though, as to what makes any high school student so dedicated, driven and successful?  Josh credits Mr. Fallows with encouraging him as an actor.

“A deciding moment in my life is during
my freshman year. I didn’t want to audition for the musical and Mr. Fallows came up and talked to me at the beginning of class. He continued to talk to me for 25 minutes into class and had ignored everybody else just to get me to do his show. I didn’t make the show, but I did receive callbacks. I really appreciate that and that’s what really pushed the boat out into the water for me,” Ollivier said.

But one moment doesn’t make a man.  According to Josh’s grandfather, Josh’s determination and maturity has been shaped by a series of troubling events and losses, including the loss of his father.

“I think he matured over these years because of his troubles he has had in his life with his father passing away and other things. Especially with his father passing away, he kind of threw himself headlong into school work and acting. Joshua is doing an excellent job at both of them and I’m really proud of him,” said his grandfather.

His grandfather is quick, though, not to undermine Josh’s active contributions to his success, praising his determination and commitment to excellence.

“I think he has one of the best work ethics I’ve ever seen, the kid works really hard at it and sticks with i
t. He’s really great at what he does.”

Josh is open about his admiration for those who exhibit excellence.  He is on record as admiring his Uncle Carl, whose intelligence and ability to know what he’s talking about no matter what the topic is sparked Josh’s interest in learning and working hard. His uncle worked hard and became a doctor – Josh can do the same and achieve his own dreams of becoming a successful actor.