The Student News Site of Heritage High School - CA

Heritage Ledger

Car Safety

Bryna Walker, Staff Writer

Searching the simple words “Highway 4 crash” on google will result in an endless amount of tragic news articles surrounding crashes affecting people in our town. Every crash has a different story, a different time and date, but almost all end in injury or even death.

On April 1st a crash on Highway 4 injured 10 bay area locals, including a child. There was said to be multiple victims outside of their cars laying on the freeway once the police arrived. This accident was a little different than your everyday speeding incident; it was purely caused by the lack of appropriate car upkeep.

“A Toyota sedan with seven occupants had stopped in the middle of the highway behind a bumper that had fallen. A Toyota minivan with three occupants slammed into the sedan causing a shutdown on the freeway,” CHP said.

What peaks some curiosity is whether or not the owner of this rogue bumper has any idea what was caused. Or if regular precautions had been taken, whether or not this crash would have happened.

“You should make sure you take your vehicle into a car repair shop at least every two years or 30,000 miles – whichever comes first. This is the generally suggested interval for major tune-ups and inspections for your vehicle.” Recommends Autos.com.

To prevent more accidents like this in the future it is highly recommended that drivers take weekly (or daily) surveys for their vehicle. When a driver walks up to their car they should check tire pressure, leaks, and look for any warning signs of broken parts.

For example, the bumper on the owner’s car most likely showed signs of looseness or even breaking. A quick walk around of the car could have prevented 10 victims of potentially life changing injuries.

Not only can this quick survey of your vehicle prevent crashes, but it can save lives. “Every year, children and siblings are killed and injured in their own driveway by their own parents who reverse or drive forwards without knowing the children are in front/behind a large vehicle.  These tragic events can be eliminated by proper approach to your vehicle, each and every time you drive.” warns driving instructor Carmen Chase.

Brentwood is full of young drivers whose lives are very important to many. To keep one another safe, keeping cars in great condition is mandatory.