Unified Opportunities

Making an effort to work and connect with others can make a huge impact. The Heritage High School Unified Sports program has been changing the lives of the Life Skills students through the important values of sports and teamwork.
   “It’s not about winning, it’s about loving the sport and having fun and participating and the opportunity for our life skills guys to participate because we don’t get a lot of opportunities in athletics,” explained Mr. Wortinger, the Unified Sports head coach for six years.
   The players get the chance to play a competitive sport in high school when they normally wouldn’t have that opportunity.
  “Since freshman year, I’ve definitely realized the effect that small things can do and [Best Buds] has taught me that…everybody can feel on the same level,” said Faith Bough (12), Best Buds Club President.
   Best Buds is a club that works with the Life Skills students by helping out with the Unified Sports and Special Olympics. They have meetings on Wednesdays at lunch in Mr. Wortingers room. General ed. students can connect with the Life Skills students there by eating and talking with them.
   “I love the games, and just seeing the smiles on their faces and the dances that we do at the games. Seeing them smile when they score or win and the celebrations are the best part,” stated Griffin LaFleur (11), a member of Best Buds and HHS Soccer player.
   The Unified Sports and Best Buds Club help make the Life Skills students gain more experience and connect with others by working together to make dreams and aspirations come true.