Preparing for the Dreadful Week of Finals

Courtney Conley, Staff Writer

Attention Heritage High School students! It is nearing that time of the year. The dreadful semester finals are creeping up quicker than ever, and soon enough the tears and beloved stress pimples will come back once again.
     For many students, this is the hardest and most overwhelming time of the year. Due to the pressure that comes to maintain an A in their classes, or on the other end, use the final to receive a passing grade, finals week undeniably impacts a students’ mental and physical health.
     Adanna Ihenacho, a senior at Heritage, shares that during finals week she “becomes noticeably more irritable, overwhelmed, and even gets sick due to stress.”
Consequently, Ihenacho is left feeling unprepared and unable to focus during her actual exam, because of the stress and pressure brought along by finals week.
    Many students alike experience the same exact feelings as Ihenacho, and end up not doing the best on their exam.
Marcus Beaureau, also a senior at Heritage, states that “there have been countless times when I end up procrastinating on studying or have too many finals to study for, and my grade will drop from an A to a B because of the final.”
     It is both unfortunate and unnecessary for this to be common for students during finals week. Students should not be so overwhelmed with stress that they become mentally and physically exhausted and end up doing worse on their exams.
     Fortunately, students can begin to take steps sooner rather than later that will positively impact their grades and health.
     One of the biggest issues students face is procrastination. It is much easier for students to pick up their phone and scroll through Twitter or Instagram for memes, instead of taking time to study for finals. However, setting up an organized schedule each week to dedicate a few hours a week until finals to study is crucial.
     If students start to study weeks in advance, reviewing information from early in the semester, and asking their teachers questions on confusing topics, they can easily avoid the overwhelming week of stress and pressure brought by procrastination; instead, students will be more prepared and able to maintain a healthy and balanced schedule.
      Once the issue of procrastination is addressed, students can now have more time to focus on improving study techniques and finding what works effectively for them. Thankfully, the internet does provide many innovative choices to study with such as Quizlet, Study.com, or StudyBlue.
      Katie Le, a student at Heritage, says Quizlet has “saved me throughout all of high school and helps so much for finals.”
Therefore, finding the technique that works best for each individual is so important for students to do better on exams.
      Also, students should talk to their peers and teachers. Create study groups with other students and find a quiet place to meet, such as Starbucks or Panera, and help one another to study and understand concepts that other students may not.
      Ask teachers for help as well. Teachers are there to encourage students to learn and understand, and usually are more than willing to review. It is important to ask questions and sign up for Patriot Plus for the classes for extra help also!
     Above all though, put health and well-being first. Get enough sleep, eat healthy foods, and drink enough water. Neglecting physical and mental health only makes finals week harder.
     Therefore, for students to do well on finals, they should avoid procrastination, find an effective study method, work with peers and ask teachers for individual help, and take care of themselves. Lastly, remember that an exam is not a defining factor of intelligence and should not determine one’s self worth. You are more than a test grade. Good luck, students!