Running the extra mile: rumors of four years of P.E. continue to swirl

With speculations circulating campus about this year’s freshmen class having to complete four years of physical education, Heritage once again is only requiring two years of physical education.

With every year passing by, the same rumor is always accruing, or being talked about whether or not to have four or two years of P.E. With this year’s senior class, some of them heard about this rumor while they were still in middle school.
“Before I even started high school I heard they were considering about changing the rules, that was just another reason why I didn’t want to go to high school,” Alyssa Wence (12) said.
Even this year freshmen class heard about the gossip, whether it was from their siblings or their friends, they still heard about. How is it that people are hearing about something that isn’t even true?

Majority of the student body are happy that there only two years, but while there are pros that also means there are cons. While all the upperclassmen are happy not running the mile every other day and having an extra elective, what happens to their physical health if not working out? While everyone like to focus on the positive, the negative are just as important. Without working out or exercising the possibility of grades slipping are high, because your brain activity is low by not getting out and doing something.

“Obviously as a P.E. teacher I would definitely find it beneficial to have those extra two years of P.E. Always being active and being motivated is great part of your lifestyle,” Ms. Derego said.
With students being athletes as well, their performance could be improved if they were constantly working out. Always having athletes in constant fitness can show improvements on the field.
“Even though I haven’t had PE in two years now I’m still happy cause that left me with an extra class to take, but as an athlete I would find it beneficial. Playing softball, it’s at the end of the year, so it would be nice to be in constant motion working out, that’s why I do like how they have those other classes to take,” Sage Ford (12) said.
The four years of P.E. rumor is called a rumor for a reason, The P.E. teachers are following state board laws and only doing two years of physical education. The most they have done was put in a proposal to have it. Even though they’ve been considering it, no rules have been changed or going to be changed.