In Front of the Camera

In Front of the Camera

Watching videos on your laptop all day majority of the time people are going to think to themselves that this would be fun to do. For some students they take it very serious, for a sixteen year old teenager to sit in front of a camera and post videos online that takes a lot of courage, knowing of all the outcomes that may be good or bad.

Starting a YouTube account, there can be various ways you can approach your channel. For Kaila Malzahn (12) she wanted variety on her channel. She wanted to show different types of challenges, doing various hauls and even makeup videos.

“My inspiration for starting my account was to make people laugh and I wanted to know what it was like from the other side of the screen. Instead of watching the videos, I wanted to know how it felt to be the one being watched. My first video that I did was a back to school haul video.”

Along with Kaila Malzahn, Natalie Splaine (12), Sierra Donegan (10), and Myles Marquez (10) also makes videos to inspire people.

However, not everyone has the courage to make videos, other people on campus want to start a channel, but are too shy to start one. People leave hurtful comments on others that could hurt their self-esteem even more.

“I wish I had courage to start up a channel, but if I did I would want my channel to be about special effects makeup. I would like to drift away from the stereotypical makeup channel and do something else,” Briana Naranjo (12) said.

Even though some people can’t handle the pressure of making videos some can. For the more popular people on YouTube they just act like there not even there.

“When I started off my channel in High School and I would look at the comments I would just brush off the negativity. There is always going to be people in the world hating on what you post, the thing that matters is what you think about yourself and what you think about your videos,” Nicole Joy said.

With starting YouTube there’s always that pressure of being judged and getting hurt. To push away all the negativity and looking at all the bigger picture is really hard to do even for a high school student.­­­

“YouTube is something that I’m always on. I’m a huge sports enthusiast and would love to do reviews of game or even techniques on how to play better. For me being so young I’m scared of the outcome my channel will get, Elsee Martindale (9) said.

Even though it great for the Heritage students wanting to reach out to other people around the world, it is hard to maintain school and post videos at a consistent time. To maintain a good channel most people post videos one a week or even two weeks.

“Unfortunately for myself with school starting up, I wanted to focus on school before I got serious with my account. Hopefully later down the school year it’ll start back up my channel, but for now it won’t be for a while,” Malzahn said.