College Stress

Senior David Mendoza focuses on the task at hand.

As senior year progresses, so does the heavy feelings of stress, pressure and anxiety. Between college applications, and a fear of leaving home after high school, it’s no secret that seniors have a lot to deal with.

College applications may be one of the most terrifying parts of senior year. Since freshman year, most people already have an idea about where they want to attend college. So, they spend four years of high school working towards that goal, and now is the time to see if their hard work paid off.

“I applied to many different colleges, and it’s really expensive to pay for the applications,” said Amanda Wannamaker (12).

On top of the anxiety of being accepted into college, finances are also a struggle during this time. Applying to college isn’t cheap, and neither is college itself. Seniors have the stress of college tuition, which in 2016, had an average cost of $33,480 for private college, $9,650 for state residents at public colleges, and $24,930 for out of state residents attending public universities, according to Collegedata.com recent studies.

“I really want to go NAU, (Northern Arizona University), except since it’s out of state, I know how expensive it’s going to be,” said Zach Hanson (12).

On top of applications, leaving for college can be very stressful for some people. After spending eighteen years at home, the idea of leaving can be very unsettling. Statistics prove that 16% of people that go off to college end up coming home because they get home sick. The idea of letting go of high school and being introduced to college can be a scary and intimidating thought, which may be the sole reason of stress in seniors.

After the seniors apply to their colleges of choice, unless they did early admissions, UC and in state universities can take as long as April to get back to them with a rejection or acceptance letter.

“I’m so anxious, I feel like I have been waiting forever for this acceptance letter,” said Justin Momoh (12).

Despite the stress and expenses, the seniors are taking the steps necessary to better their future. Even though it may not be easy, neither is growing up. College is just the transition between childhood and adulthood, and the seniors are taking it one step at a time.