Teachers Throwing Elbows and Breaking Ankles

The Heritage Staff hypes each other up to prepare for the intense game.

Elbows are thrown and ankles are left broken. Not entirely, but considering the same person who teaches you Calculus is sprinting down the court and showing off their shift skills will get you just as excited. Considering it is a teacher basketball game, you would think that it would mimic the same enthusiasm and competition as the NFL’s Pro Bowl, but you would be mistaken. The staff of both teams bring their all to properly represent their school. The teachers go all out to entertain the students and to get a quick break from the constant overflow of grading.

“It’s a fun game to get students pumped up for the end of the year and a chance for teachers to get out of the classroom,” said Mr. Bonnie.

Bonnie is not lying, it is a fun game meant to pump students up and to give the teachers a good time, but this is an understatement. The competition during the game is palpable. Last year there was even a little scuffle on the court between Heritage and Freedom staff. The teachers give their all during the game and “go hard in the paint.”

“I’m going to break ankles.” said Mr Bonnie.

This attitude and competition is a sight to see. The teacher that taught you the difference between a direct object and indirect object is the same teacher draining threes and crossing principals. It will leave you with your jaw on the floor. The amount of crowd participation during this game is insurmountable. The teachers electrify the crowd so much to the point where the students almost have a competition of their own against the other school: who can be louder and who can show the most support.

“I’m not usually the type to be pumped over a basketball game, but last year I caught myself jumping up and down, chanting with the electric crowd,” said Lai Le (12).

One of the staff members that completely shocked and electrified the crowd was the mysterious “Silencer.” Also known as Andrew Garner, he is a special ed para-professional here at HHS during the day and a basketball god during the game. Putting up threes and crossing teachers, the Silencer is the one to keep an eye on and yes, he will be lacing up this year.

This is a game you do not want to miss. Some of your favorite teachers will be out there on the court. Beyer and Bonnie will not be the only ones mixing it up on the court again, this year our Heritage team will consist of Castellanos, Garner, Fogelstrom, Malzahn, Perales, Cook, Beyer, Banchieri, Watson, Haley, Bonnie and McCarthy. This year Heritage has the advantage of home court, so we will be hosting the Freedom staff and their crowd on Friday, April 14th at 7 PM.

Update: Bonnie did his crossing, Silencer drained his threes, scuffles broke out, Heritage stood victorious by the end of the night.