How will DACA affect LUHSD students?

How will DACA affect LUHSD students?

On September 5th, the Trump Administration announced it was removing the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. The program allowed upwards of 800,000 illegal immigrants who were brought to country as children to defer deportation and take steps to become legal citizens.

The Trump Administration is getting rid of the program because they deem it’s creation as unconstitutional. The Obama Administration drafted the law without congressional approval.

“The President made the best decision in light of the fact that the system was set up by The Obama administration, in clear violation of federal law.” Said Press Secretary Sarah Sanders in a press briefing on September 5th.

The White House is also giving Congress six months before to draft new legislation to take the place of DACA before the program completely disappears. The earliest permits will expire in six months and the latest will expire in 2019.

“It’s Congress’s job to legislate. It’s not the President’s job to create law,” said Sanders. “I think that every member of Congress should know that it is their duty, and we’re asking them to fulfill it. It’s pretty simple.”

DACA is helpful for illegal immigrants to attend college, get work permits, and obtain driver’s licenses. However, public school is a right for everyone regardless of their immigration status.

In the supreme court case Plyler v. Doe from 1982, it was settled that public schools should accept students, regardless of citizenship status.

But as students apply to college, their concrete future of staying in the United States is uncertain.

Many colleges, such as the University of California and California State University systems, have assured that DACA recipients can and will still attend the universities. The University of California even sued the Trump Administration over the repeal of the program.

“We will continue to provide them with essential legal and support services to guide them through these uncertain times and to safeguard their privacy.” said the University of California president Janet Napolitano in a press statement on September 5th. Janet Napolitano also served as secretary for the Department of Homeland Security under Barack Obama. She also signed the directive to create the DACA program.

DACA recipients are weary to their future and should try to renew their status if they still have the chance.

“I strongly urge all DACA recipients whose status expires on or before March 5, 2018, to complete and submit a DACA renewal application before October 5, 2017,” urged the California State University chancellor Timothy White.

There are also many worries that recipients face if they lose their DACA status.

“They’re wondering, ‘Now that I’m no longer protected, can ICE now come and find me? Because ICE now knows where I live, where I work’ … It’s really nerve-wracking for these people.” A DACA recipient told Business Insider on September 6th.

The Liberty Unified High School District drafted a resolution on February 22nd to protect students. This includes to not share student files that may reveal immigration status, not allowing ICE agents on campus without approval from the superintendent, and to support inclusion across all campus activities.

As of right now, the future for many DACA recipients is unclear. But on campus, DACA recipient or not, deportation won’t be a fear on LUHSD campuses.