The Hassle with College Applications

College application deadline is approaching, and anxiety is growing among high school seniors. As UC and CSU application deadlines come up on November 30th seniors have narrowed down the number of schools they’re applying to, and have started filling their applications and reflecting on their past 4 years to write their personal profile statements

Some students are finally getting to fill out the applications of their dream school, invoking both excitement and anxiety.

“I’m finally getting to apply to my dream school, LMU (Loyla Marymount University)” Ariana Gonzalez (12). Even though LMU’s application deadline isn’t until  January 1st, Gonzalez has already heavily researched what the school wants to be seeing in her application. “I need to submit a 3 minute reel showcasing my video knowledge, in a way I have been working on my application for years”.

Many of students applying for admittance in the fall are taking the SAT for the final time this October/ November.

“I’ve been taking the PSAT and SAT since my sophomore year, honestly my scores started off really low, but this upcoming test I’m hoping for around a 1350” Jacob Kalyi (12).

The SAT is one of the most important factors that colleges uses to choose applicants. The most competitive schools, such as UC Berkeley, only accept the highest of scores, around  a 1400 of the new 1600 grading scale.

Colleges, notably UC’s, also require short essays, aka personal profile questions, to supplement the applicants transcripts and test scores. These are arguably the most important section of a students college application. These short essays, with prompts that are centered around how one has grown based off experiences had in high school, are the only way for an applicant to showcase their personality to the admission directors.

“My english teacher had been really helpful with preparing us for UC statements,” said Tessie Robinson (12), “without that breakdown i would be lost at where i should even start for my profile questions.”

While application season is highly stressful for seniors preparing for their future, these students have been putting in the work these past years. Grades, extracurriculars and general life experience has been building all this time, now it’s time to fill out the applications, and hit send.