The Showdown: Thespians Versus Musicians

Every year over Thanksgiving break while most people are preparing to stuff themselves with turkey, potatoes and other holiday foods, a select few are gearing up for “war”. Those select few are students of band and of the rising stars club. The so called “war” is a football game played between the two opposing sides. It is an annual tradition between the classes that has been going on for years.

For over the past 4 years the ris have risen out of the mud as the winners, and hope to defend their title again this year. Students on both sides of the game look forward to this battle of epic proportions. Students like Ian Panela, an 11th grade rising stars student and Shawn Alexander, an 11th grade band student claim that the winner of the game gains certain bragging rights until the next years game.

“It’s all fun” Panela went on to say, “all of us are just there to win and have a good time” Shawn adds,

“Even though I have not played in the game, I still go and enjoy watching our team win”

In previous years, the mud bowl gets very competitive with each side wanting to claim victory over the other. Last year, the theatre kids took the champion title, and are hoping to defend their “trophy” again this year.

Both groups met on Monday, November 20th at creekside park to wage battle against one another, until one victorious team rises from the mud. The game is a way for both parties to blow off steam and relax, while simply having fun.

Just because it is only band and theatre kids playing does not mean that it is just them watching, anyone is welcome to watch the game from the sidelines, as long as they do not interfere. While it is a good game, it is an even better show. The theatre kids put on a good show, dancing and making the crowd laugh. However, it is not only the kids of theatre classes that impress the crowd, both teams have supporters in the stands and on the sidelines cheering them on.

Although it may not seem like it, the football game is a way to congratulate both groups on their continuing successes with productions and musical performances. It is also a way to give thanks to one another, hence it is played over thanksgiving break.

Both teams wished each other good luck, then the epic battle was on, and wasn’t over until everyone was covered in mud. This year, the band rose victorious over the rising stars, now holding bragging rights for the first time in about 4 years.