Heritage Ledger

The Final Kick

Josie Dalldorf, Staff Writer

A long, intense, and chilly game ends with defeat. On Wednesday, February 14th, the girls varsity soccer team played Liberty High School to move on through the North Coast Sectional Division 1 playoffs.

With Liberty moving on to the next round of games, girls soccer coach, Tony Martins, was very excited with the turn out of his team’s performance.

“I’m very proud because I have told the kids since the beginning of the year we weren’t supposed to be here. Everybody doubted what they could do. We lost a lot of talent, the most talented class we have ever graduated. This team has to rely on everyone to be successful, and everybody stepped up,” explained Martins.

During the very chilly night, Heritage was having a slow night for offense compared to other games. They had opportunities, but missed them.

“We had a lot of missed chances, but overall we still played great,” said Katherine Cook (12).

With only 16 minutes left in the second half, Megan Schieber got a cross pass from her teammate and broke through an opening in the defense to end up scoring the winning goal.

“All I think about is teammates working together in the midfield and yelling and motivating each other,” said Schieber, “I can’t think of the opportunity coming without the team pushing me in.”

Heritage girls varsity team had an amazing season, making it this far to the playoffs with beating Liberty 2-1 in the final league game only a week before. Now their season is over, the seniors are sad that it was their last game, however they had a good run. The underclassmen are excited to start again to try to make it further next season