Racing to Victory

Adrenaline flowing, hearts beating fast, and all the hard work looking to pay off; Heritage High School’s Steam Team club goes through all these emotions when participating in their frequent races against opposing schools.

The club gets together almost every weekday, and their most recent venture has been a hydrogen powered “RC” type car, in order to race against other schools and teams working the challenge with the major car manufacturer, Toyota.

The project is led primarily by students, getting to decide what and how things go on their car but being supervised by Mr. Pennington .

They do the designing, fabricating, and testing all themselves, and constantly have to redo things in order to make their vehicle perfect, and better than all the other teams involved. Many students involved find the project fun and an amazing experience that could help them in further endeavors later on in their lives.

The team recently competed against over 20 other teams, and won 3 awards for their car. One of those awards was the award for the most efficient fuel consumption. The students there had some trouble in the beginning with their car, but ended up finishing and overall, it was a fun day for everyone involved.

“The last race we did, we ended up doing alright, but there is more room for improvement for our car and our team as a whole,” said Steam Team member, Anthony Galvan (11).

There are many ways to spend after school days, but according to at least two members, the best way to spend their time is with the club working on their project “RC” car.

“Usually I would just go home after school and waste my time playing video games, but when I joined the club, I started spending my days working with the rest of the kids in my club,” said another Steam Team member, Jordan Dones (11).

With over 20 clubs at heritage, the Steam Team seems to be the most mysterious to students who are not involved with it, but when they learn of it, they are almost always intrigued and ask more about it. The school seems to be very supportive of the team, as well as their advisor Mr. Pennington. Whenever the club meets, he is  there too for support and advice.

All in all, the club is one of the most interesting on campus, and students on campus can’t seem to wait to see what they get into next, and are ready to support their iconic Steam Team yet again. With their recent awards won, it is time to put some more work into their project, so that next time, they will get even more awards.