Behind the Curtains of “The Sting”

Lights, camera, action. Those are the 3 topics that may come to someone’s head when thinking about the Theatre Arts. But does anyone genuinely think of props, tech, costume, actors, or even the director?
    A production of a play takes more time than others may realize, and when it comes to Heritage High Rising Star production, there is a big measure of hard work and dedication.
   There is no time to waste on this production, it’s show time for this high school play. Everyday of the week members dedicate 3 hours after school, and 9 hours every Saturday from 10:00 in the morning to 6:00 at night, with an overall cast of 30 students and a crew that is even twice that size.
   “I wanted to do something that had a lot of people in it, there’s a large cast about 30 this year.” Chris Fallows, theatre teacher and director of ‘The Sting’ mentioned.
   Which was one of the reasons why Fallows was interested to do this show for the fall play, the more people the more fun it is for everyone.
   “I’ve been involved in theater for 3 years now, and this is actually my first time being in one of the productions, I really don’t understand why I didn’t sign up for shows sooner, I love the vibes and just seeing how we can all come together and create something- it’s so dope.” Actor Duke Appleton stated, describing what it’s like working on the show.
   Even though the cast and crew seem to be getting along and having fun together, the hardest time for all of them is the week of tech, where the members stay at the theatre after school from 3-10 PM working together to make sure the show goes as well as they planned. Not only is it a time to make changes and fix anything that’s needed, it also brings the cast and crew more together.
   “There are people in here that I would have never thought I’d be more closer with, but along the way of being here you meet so many talented, fun people and it’s just like being in one big family, Fallows has had such a big impact on all of us, I feel so apart of something it amazes me still when I think about it,” Concluded Appleton.
   Fallows has worked as a teacher for about 16 years, and is very much looking forward to more students as well as many more shows to come later in the future productions.
   “I’m so grateful for all of these kids along the way, it’s a strange little world we’ve made but it seems to be a good one.” explains Fallows about the theater community.
   Working all these shows has brought such a close family of thespians that all have these ideas, creativity, this type of uniqueness to them that shines so bright, and creates such a big open society of people that are extremely talented.
   “I like teenagers, I like them, I like to spend time with them, I like to get to know them… So the more people, it’s like you’re part of my world now,” Fallows says.
   The Sting isn’t just your typical high school production, it’s a way to feel more involved and to make connections with other students. Our young and talented thespians want to inspire people to join the community, so come and see what goes on behind the curtains, it’s more exciting than you would think.