Kevin Spacey: A Story Unraveled

Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images

Kevin Spacey appears to be inching his way back into public life.

Fingers have been pointing towards many high profile figures in Hollywood for sexual misconduct since November 2017. One of these figures include 59 year old Kevin Spacey, an actor mostly known for his lead role in Netflix’s House of Cards, was publicly accused and charged of sexual assault in early January 2019.

He appeared in court, where he pleaded not guilty. The accuser is 18 year old, William Little, son of former Boston news anchor, Heather Unruh.

“When I hear the words, “sexual assault”, I think about the blatant disregard and outright disrespect of the sexual predator,” said Alyse Rose (11), a student with passionate views reveals.

The alleged assault took place on July 2016 in a Nantucket, Massachusetts bar. Little claimed to be a “23 year old student” to Spacey, which led to him buying drinks. Eventually, the assault took place, with little evidence to prove it.

“I think people still accuse others even though there is little to no proof just for the simple fact that they can,” said Lauren Lee (11), a student who hold strong beliefs regarding sexual misconduct.

“Maybe they feel that by accusing others, they might find more solid proof for what actually happened,” said Lee.

Allegations against Spacey is not new news, roughly 30 people came forward and accused Spacey of making sexual advantages. One of the more known accusers is 47 year old Anthony Rapp, mostly known for for his lead role as ‘Mark Cohen’ in the original broadway cast of Rent and the 2005 movie adaptation. Ultimately, it led to the decision to fire Spacey from his role in Netflix’s House of Cards.

“This case can hurt the entertainment industry, some may see it as a corrupt industry full of people who have potentially done the same things as Spacey,” said Brenda Ramos (11), a student familiar with the recent case.

Allegations that have been circling around Spacey for nearly 30 years, have finally come to the spotlight. However, it brings the realization that there are so many stories hidden under a rock that need to be shared.