Phase Two of Shelter in Place

During this time of uncertainty, we all have questions about what is expected of us. Before the shelter in place order was set forth, there was a 4 phase plan that Gavin Newsom wanted to follow throughout the shelter in place. Different counties will experience a different pace. The criteria can be found here.
   The first stage of lockdown was issued on March 19, 2020. Everyone except for essential workers were sent home and schools were temporarily shut down. Now that the curve is flattening a little in some counties, Newsom believes they are ready to move onto phase two.
   Phase two is the one that many counties in California are currently experiencing. Many businesses can use curbside pickup or delivery services at this time. Essential businesses can also reopen. This includes things listed in this pdf such as doctors, nurses, grocery store employees, firefighters, police officers, etc.
   The businesses that are opening up again will still be expected to follow some guidelines. This includes things like disinfecting protocol, physical distancing, and wearing a mask. Workplaces will also have to have an on-site protection plan specifically designed for that area.
   Phase two of the four-stage plan was supposed to start May 8, 2020 and it did for many, but the times will differ from one county to the next depending on the status of the virus.
Phase two is not only for essential workers and activity, but it is also going to allow some counties to reopen what officials call “low risk activities”. All the counties in the bay area have successfully advanced to stage two with low risk, but the implications are different for each based on the governor.
A student from Heritage High School is happy to see things slowly returning to normal. Isabella Baeza (11) has been greatly affected by Covid-19 as have we all and she has missed out on many events because of it.
   “I was really looking forward to prom. . . My family and I were supposed to go away for spring break, but the virus made us cancel,” said Baeza.
   Just like Baeza, many other people had plans that we were looking forward to, but they had to be canceled because of the stage one shelter in place order. Now that some things are starting to return to normal, many people are excited.
   Nicholas Eastwood is a sophomore at the University of San Diego and just like most students in California, he has been sent home to study. Eastwood said that some of his teachers have adjusted well to the new normal, but it still has been a little challenging.
   “Since I have gotten home, college has been a mixed bag. It all depends on the teachers. Some of them have done really helpful online classes and also extended the office hours due to the current circumstances,” said Eastwood.
   Some of the day to day norms are different in other parts of California. For example, Fremont, California is more bay area central. The huge population has played a toll on the outcome of the shelter in place order.
   Keny Suarez is a student at American High School in Fremont. He believes that his area is especially quiet and eerie. Unlike Brentwood, no one is outside. Here in Brentwood, there are many people on bikes or running, but that seems to have paused in Fremont.
   “Fremont seems like a pretty desolate land due to the shelter in place and everything is just more gloomy,” said Suarez.
   After stage 2, the next phase is expected to allow higher risk workplaces to reopen with the same restrictions. As of right now, it will be some time in June, but it is still subject to change.
   Finally, stage 4 will be the last of it. Health precautions will most likely be recommended, but life will resume as it should. Residents of California will no longer be expected to stay at home. California is getting closer to the finish line.