Will the Volleyball Team Serve Another Season?

Across the country, high school sports seasons have been cancelled left and right, leaving student athletes with no new season to look forward to. For the Heritage High School volleyball team, a fear of feeling the same loss lingers over them as the question of whether there will be a 2020 season arises.
   As conditioning begins, the season already looks different this year. The student athletes are required to bring their own volleyball and wear masks upon entering the football field, where conditioning is being held. They focus on personal strength and ball handling skills twice a week.
   Conditioning outside has thrown a curveball for the team, as they don’t feel they can participate in the full volleyball experience. Girls volleyball player, Paige Slous (10), has voiced her opinion on this.
   “A big challenge is not being able to play on the court. We’re mostly outside so we don’t get the whole volleyball experience because we’re not able to play on a net or altogether,” said Slous (10).
   Despite the lack of receiving a full volleyball experience, many student athletes are still interested in joining the team this year. About 40-50 students show up to the weekly conditionings.
   Although, participating in this year’s volleyball season varies amongst student athletes this year. While some students are interested in participating in athletics this year, other students don’t feel as comfortable with the thought of going onto campus or don’t feel safe with the idea of training near other students yet.
   Through the challenges this season has been presented with, the team is driven by hope and staying optimistic. With hopes of a getting a 2020 season, the Heritage High School volleyball team still makes an effort to show up and play their part with the benefit of their team in mind.
   “What keeps me going is my team, I don’t want to let my team down,” said Chloe Panggat (12). A senior going into her last season on the girl’s volleyball team.
   The circumstances surrounding the season has refocused the team’s goals this year. The girls and boys varsity volleyball coach, Mrs. Hannigan, has been honest about the tough behind the scenes of being a coach this year. Her main focus for her teams this year is to make it an enjoyable experience.
   “This year more than anything I think I’d want kids to take away a really positive, fun-loving experience whether we win or lose, it’s not gonna really matter to me this year because the kids have lost out on so much,” said Hannigan.
   Currently, many winter high school sports seasons have been delayed or cancelled for the 2020 season. This hasn’t stopped the team to continue to work hard while awaiting an approval on a new season.