850 Attend Back to School Dance

Jordan Eagle/Legacy Photographer

Holding hands, Sereyna Alvarez (12) dances with her friend as the DJ plays Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

The strobe lights scurry across the dense crowd, flashing in your face every so often, legs and feet fumbling over and onto each other, and the music roaring; it’s no other than the annual Back to School Dance and there is no better way start the school year than a powerhouse dance.

Every year Heritage High School hosts a casual Back to School Dance, but this year had a twist. Most of our previous years our go to DJ was DJ Hightop. Although he was very reliable and was able to get the crowd grooving on the dance floor, our student body wanted to try a change for once. This year our organizers hired a new DJ and from what the dance goers are saying, it seems like with a little adjustment we might have a new go-to DJ for future dances.

“He had good music in the beginning but then other people started requesting songs, other people have bad taste in music,” Tyler Dahl (12) said.

The DJ wasn’t the only change to the BTSD dance. As the crowd piled in the cafeteria, everyone noticed balloons and relatively large beach balls. As the dance went on, you can see the balloons and beach balls bounce on top of the vibing crowd. Many agreed that it was a fun touch to the dance. The more controversial situation of the dance was the fact of breathalyzers being used at the entrance door. Many were angered at the idea, either because they felt disrespected or that they had bad intentions.

“I don’t think the breathalyzer situation was a good idea, but I do understand that the teachers want to make sure we are making good decisions,” Lai Le (12) said.

In the end there were no breathalyzers.  Ultimately, the teachers and admin are only trying to make sure we are there to have a good time, which many can agree that they did. Dances make a huge highlight to a student’s high school career and almost always make a lasting memory.

“Go to all the dances you can, you’ll make great memories if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone,” Matthew Townsend (12) said.

Heritage’s dances are a perfect place to create and share memories with your friends. You are almost guaranteed a great time, just put yourself out there and have fun.

And wear deodorant.