In the driver’s seat: student drivers reflect on experiences

In the driver’s seat:  student drivers reflect on experiences

Jeeps with draped puka shells, Chevy trucks with patriotic voice and Subarus with liberal minded bumper stickers fill the parking lot. Heritage High Schoolers hit the road as new student drivers.

Our Driver’s Education program here at Heritage is essential to many student drivers obtaining the skills they need to further their skills.

While Alyssa Rohrer (12) is experiencing a new found freedom, she’s also thinking in the way California’s DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and HHS taught her, safety.

“Well it’s definitely given me freedom I never had before, but at the same time holds you more accountable. You have someone’s life in your hands which is pretty crazy to think abou,” Rohrer said.

As the new school year starts the HHS Sophomores are now starting to obtain driver’s permits. For some students driving is anything but freedom, just an extension on housework.

“I’ll have to pick my sister up from school, do all the grocery shopping and probably take my dad to work (laughs),” Sam Villafuerte (10) said.

Aside from freedom, responsibility and the occasional burden, some find convenience and timeliness in their new pass time.

“I think it’s been beneficial. It’s cool cause I don’t have to wait around for a ride and I can get stuff done when I need to,” Ally Gerdes (11) said.

Having been asked about California’s final driver’s test Rohrer had a bit more to say.

“In the sense of attaining a license. The inconsistency of proctors are the problem; I’ve seen the most unprepared people get their license easily, and I’ve seen the most prepared fail due to a few little common errors,” Rohrer said.

Having taught at Heritage High School for several years now, Mr. Schneider (driver’s education teacher) also played a huge role in passing such crucial tests. His teaching of Foundations for Success as well as Driver’s Ed truly prepares our patriots for important life skills.

“I think Mr. Schneider taught us well. By using the California curriculum, he further prepared us for the real driving world so to speak,” Andrew Patania (12) said.

Whether students come to school only to still be in PE and health, or are filling out college applications, one day all patriots with be behind the wheel. With yet another High School steppingstone completed, Heritage High School’s current student drivers were taught well.