Striking a School Life Balance

Striking a School Life Balance

An array of high school students are actively searching for a part time job; although some warn that it eats away at their free time, others feel that it presents many benefits.

Although having a job can be challenging, it teaches responsibility, and helps students prioritize all aspects of their lives. Senior, Bryn Walker explains that even though it’s an abundance of work, its totally worth it, as long as its something you enjoy:

“When it comes to getting school work done, it’s definitely difficult… but even as a high school-er you have to love your job, and if you do, its all worth it,”

Family life also presents an obstacle, some parents fear that allowing their child to work outside of home takes away from family time. I asked a family friend who’s sons worked while in high school, and she explained that it actually did the opposite, it made them more mature, and responsible; “it made them more responsible, they loved it! It kept them out of trouble, and they were able to buy their first car,”

One of the major concerns of having a job in high school, is whether or not you lose a huge part of your social life, as well as good grades. Sophomore, Autumn Mickim expressed “I work at the water park, its definitely stressful, it takes a lot of time away from friends, family, and school”