New year, new classes

A colored form with a list of courses, a student discovers a couple of new classes listed. They nervously choose one, not knowing what to expect.

Heritage’s new classes include Sociology and Disorders, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Exploring Computer Science, and Introduction to Broadcasting.

Ms. Dalton, the school counselor in SLC-C, discussed that Sociology and Disorders is one of the more popular classes and is full. Playwriting is close behind, filling 29 of 32 spots. Lastly, Exploring Computer Science has 49 students enrolled.

Screenwriting was also supposed to be a new class; however, not enough people enrolled. Mr. Guardado, who teaches Broadcasting and was going to teach Screenwriting, said that while Screenwriting was approved last year, not enough people signed up. In his ROP Broadcasting class, he is now emphasizing screenwriting skills. The class is split up into groups working on either screenwriting or video broadcasting and HBN.

While screenwriting did not have many sign ups, the students interested in the class might of ended up taking play-writing.

“I took the class because my friends were taking it. I’m very excited. I’ve never taken a performing arts class before. I hope it will be a lot of fun,” said Andy Hollifield (11).
Another student talks about sociology and disorders.

“I took sociology and disorders since I took AP Psychology last year and thought the sociology unit was interesting. I’m excited mainly because I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Cierra Pierce (12).

Staff and students are very happy with the new classes. Although there are a few faults with signing up, the classes are extremely popular. Hopefully next year, we will get some more, as well!