Just Across the Hall: Conversations with Maestra Valadez

As you walk through the office, the SLC’s, and the green, you finally find your first period class. However, no one is there; you find yourself decorating the class, organizing lessons for the day, and writing your name on the board: Maestra Valadez. On the first day, this is the reality of just one of our many new teachers–Mrs. Valadez.

Although Mrs. Valadez only grew up speaking Spanish, she went out of her way as a child to learn and eventually master the English language. It was also at this young age that she found herself driven to become a teacher. Growing up immersed in the Hispanic culture, there was no question what she wanted to teach.

“It definitely came down to either Spanish or English, and the reason I chose Spanish is because I can tell stories from my own childhood to help students understand the culture,” said Valadez.

As a high schooler, Mrs. Valadez; one of our few language teachers, was taught by none other than Heritage’s own Mr. Madrigal. He is a student favorite here at heritage, known for his unique teaching style and stories.

“I would love to create a more personal relationship with my students as Mr. Madrigal once did with me,” said Valadez.

For Madrigal, this teaching was not an easy one to develop, however it is favored by many students and respected by all. In the classroom: “Not all students learn at the same pace, and although personal experiences are always different, you can always go out of your way to connect with a student,” says Madrigal.

For this reason, great teachers like Mr. Madrigal and Mrs. Valadez alike are to be remembered by students throughout life and beyond high school.