New Club on the Block

Fun comes in many shapes and sizes here at Heritage High, one of which is through a club, especially through the imaginative Esports club. The club’s idea has already been in the air today, with many more competitive video gaming competitions arising, such as the Battlefield 4 US vs. UK events. Hosting events such as these are however, different for a school. Although, getting a complicated club like this into a school is a challenge with all of the approval it must possess.

Possessing vital information about the clubs on campus and being in charge of a club himself, one leadership student, Jamie Symkowick (10) was able to explain the general process of bringing a club to life here at Heritage. With is knowledge on the subject, he was able to explain with ease.

“After you write your constitution and find your teacher, you turn it (the constitution) into the leadership room. Then you are in club rush and you will get a text message that sends the (club rush) map with what you will be doing,” Symkowick (10) said.

However, this complex explanation is only part of the process to start a club at Heritage. After the correct paperwork is filled out, turned in, and a teacher has agreed to be your advisor, you are on your way. However now the club needs a juicy idea to jumpstart it into high gear, which is what the Esports club has done.

This new club has taken a broad topic, usually present in a typical high schooler’s life and put a much needed twist into the subject. What Esports has done is turn gaming into more of a sport-like passion. Now, every Friday, Esports club members will be able to compete and win prizes. They will be able to play many different video games, of many different genres competitively, against other players. Though the logistics of the competitors is still being developed, the concept is there and ready to be discussed.

Another twist inside the club that isn’t as unique but still quite unheard of, is their rule policy. Being such a laid back club, literally just playing video games and winning prizes, their rules have reflected this attitude.

“We are not going to have rules. I mean we’ll have basic ones, like nothing against school rules, but not many others,” Co-founder Logan Whitmire (12) explained.

The no rules policy implemented is sure to create closer, family-like club and help with team building that is essential to good video gaming. With a more laid back attitude, more participants may feel more welcomed and open to try new things. For some, an environment with a more relaxed attitude can be more personal and accepting for a shy or timid individual. A more laidback club might be just what an individual needs and who does not like gaming?

The club’s creativity to a competitive video gaming organization also connected to the teacher as well. Mr. Guardado or Mr. G. for short, was very interested in the club when it was presented to him. When asked how he thinks the new club will affect Heritage he said,

“I’m hoping it (Esports club) creates friendly competition.”

Through the grueling gaming sessions and prize winnings, friendly competition is created. Even though there are different sides, both players can understand each other and learn to be friendly even though they are competing.

Through their club, Esports will create a more friendly competition between classmates, through competitive gaming, many of the members hope this will be the turnout of the club. Thus creating new camaraderie between students and even adults at school.

Heritage High School has housed many clubs over the years, some clubs even get so close, it was like a second family. The Esports club is no exception, with their laid back “no rules” attitude and a passion for gaming, this club is sure to please. And we are looking forward to what is in store from this club and many others here at Heritage.