ROTC Student

Adrian Bilbay turns over with a smile while in formation.

The Junior ROTC at Heritage offers students the ability to learn valuable citizenship skills and explore the idea of serving in the United States military.  Led by both retired and actively serving officers, students report learning much about themselves and gaining respect, self-control and leadership skills that will continue to benefit them in the future.

The program is led by Lieutenant Colonel Retired Sparaco and Senior Master Sergeant Jeffery Jacobson. Sparaco served in the military for 21 years and has been teaching Jr. ROTC for eight . Jacobson on the other hand, served in the Air Force for 28 years.

In order for his class to succeed, Colonel Sparaco, teaches students different character traits uch as, “leadership, citizenship, self-discipline, self-confidence, integrity, respect, and service.”

Sparaco chose to teach because he always wanted to teach and he wants to see students, “be the best that they can be, to have them (students) find their goals, and help them reach their own goals.”

One student that has been influenced by the Jr. ROTC class is Jade Cross (12). She has been taking the class for three years and is an officer which is a highly respected rank in the class. She plans on enlisting in the military right after high school.

Jr. ROTC has taught her about, “military background, leadership, customs, respect, and how to be respected.” These military background will help her have experience when she enlists in the military.

Another student taking the class is Bryan O’ Farrell (11). Even though it is his first year taking the class, he is still very motivated to be the best he can be.

He has already gained, “leadership, military morals, drills, and other training exercises” as he plans on becoming an Officer in the Coast Guard either right after high school or after going to Officer School in college.

Some benefits of taking the ROTC class is that if you take the class and then enlist in the military, you can actually get a higher pay. Another benefit is that you take the class in high school and then if you join the class in college, you don’t have to take your first year in college because you took the class in high school. In the Jr. ROTC class students can earn ranks, for example, students can become a Cadet by being active, taking on leadership roles, and participating in all of the activities. The ranks that students are given can be taken away though but it rarely ever happens.

Students in the class have the option to be on the Color Guard. They go to the football, basketball, and some baseball games for the nation anthem. They also are in the homecoming parade at the streets of Brentwood ever year so being on the color guard takes on being active with school and community events.

Overall, the Jr. ROTC class has a lot to offer for students even if they are not planning on going into the military in the future.