Depleting Motivations

Depleting+Motivations

The school year slows, and the countdown begins. From sophomores to seniors, the epidemic of laziness has come into full play. Although many students are determined to stay on top of their grades, sports, clubs, and/or social lives; often times they see one suffer due to the other. Through the ages though, it does not seem as if much has changed.

“I really appreciate how some teachers like Mrs. DeLaCruz understand what it is like to be a student with no motivation and give less work and become a little more understanding,” said Brenden Drummond. (12)

Due to this seemingly inevitable wave of lethargy, many teachers will often ‘go easy’ on these tired students with a lighter workload, and less homework; such as Mrs. DeLaCruz. From a student’s view, especially an AP student, the lighter workload is much appreciated.

“I like how in the weeks leading up to the end of the school year when all of your other classes stress you out, you’re really just chilling out in your AP class after the exams,” said Lucas Bosman (10).

Along with the stress of getting grades up for the semester grade, students who play spring sports seem to have it especially hard during the post-season. Given the fact that players want to give everything they have to the sport(s) they play, it is hard to also give their all in the classroom.

“Towards NCS and the end of the semester, it’s difficult to find motivation to do my schoolwork. I’m so kicked into volleyball mode that it is hard to check back and find motivation to do homework after a five-set match,” said Keegan Carey (11).

Likely, this seems to be the most common feeling amongst students and student athletes alone. Being that the climate is heating up and the days are feeling longer, there’s no way for these students not to be tantalized by the sweet sound of Summer.

“Towards the end of the year my mind becomes focused on summer and what i have in front of me which takes away my focus on academics,” said Nick Shackelford (10).

However, despite these many attributions, these students work both diligently, and carefully throughout the year, and will continue on no matter how unappealing it seems.