Heritage Ledger

Reno Jazz Band Trip

Sydney Deane, Staff Writer

At the end of last month, the Heritage High School jazz bands A, B, and Combo traveled to Reno to compete in a jazz festival. They competed against, and with other jazz bands all over the nation, to show off their hard work and talent.

“It was such a good experience for the students,” said Mr. Ernest, the band teacher at Heritage.

Performers left April 27th, and came back on the 30th. The festival consisted of multiple student bands that performed, hoping for the best feedback they could get.

For most of the second semester, the heritage high school jazz program has been working towards this festival, and came to Reno to show off all their hard work, and ended up successful.

“We were able to pinpoint our focus towards the festival. Through this experience, I learned to be okay with coming out of my comfort zone, musically,” said Julia Daijogo (11).

Each group that performed played different pieces, with different feels to them. Each one

As part of the festival, other programs were able to listen to other groups perform. From jazz choir, to jazz ensamble, every program came to play.

The festival also held clinics for conductors, and students, hoping to pass off some tips from professional to professional.

Listening to other performances, our musicians were able to walk away with unforgettable memories, and individual feedback from their performances.

“I loved the trip. Iu saw another side to everyone in the program, and we all just connected. We all learned a lot socially, and musically” said Bilal Humid (10).

Overall, the trip was a success, and will continue to be an annual experience for Jazz members.