Heritage Ledger

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Taylor Lofton, Staff Writer

Containing five endings, secret easter eggs, and many choices to decipher what kind of ending you will receive. In Netflix’s very first Interactive Movie, viewers at home get to decide the protagonist, Stefan Butler’s decisions as he journeys through the ups and downs of his own creation, a game called “Bandersnatch” it fully integrates the butterfly effect, where even the tiniest decision can come to go a long way.

An interactive movie touches base with ‘Virtual Reality Technology’, which gives us entertainment in what is called ‘Alternate Realities’ and ‘Experimental Storytelling’. The first ever interactive movie was filmed in 1967 called ‘Kinoautomat’ that was released in actual movie theaters. When it was time to make a choice for the movie, the movie would stop, and a live performer would come out on stage to ask the audience to make a choice by pressing a red or green button. Once the votes for what choice were decided the movie would continue with what popular vote of choice until the next stop of choice.

As for ‘Bandersnatch’. The movie set in 1984 following teenage Stefan Butler, who wants to create his own computer programed game called ‘Bandersnatch’ that allows you to choose your own path in a adventure. Butler’s game had been inspired by a childhood ‘adventure novel’ that was owned by his mother that was also called ‘Bandersnatch’. As viewers continue to make decisions, we can see that Stefan’s life starts to embody his creation of his game, he then realizes that he has no control of his own life and slowly becomes insane.

At first decisions will be simple to answer, to give the viewer a feel to how the questions will be asked and how you are supposed to answer. Simple questions as the movie start’s like: what will Stefan will eat for breakfast, or what type of music he will listen too. As the movie progresses, the questions will start to get more difficult to choose answers for, as viewers will be on the edge of their seats since their choices decipher what ending they will receive.

The movie has its own unique twist and turns, and dark paths to shocking endings. After two years of creating the interactive movie, as a viewer, ‘Bandersnatch’ definitely will snatch your attention into not only watching but picking choices that will get to an ending. So what ending will you get?